Gulf investors end talks on Leeds Utd takeover
The proposed takeover of Leeds United - believed to involve a Bahraini royal - has collapsed, the club has confirmed.
The English Championship football club said on June 26 that an unnamed group of investors had been granted due diligence and it was widely expected a takeover deal would be reached soon after.
The takeover was reportedly being led by Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Mubarak Al-Khalifa, a member of Bahrain’s ruling dynasty.
But in a statement posted on its official website, Leeds United said: “Leeds United announces that the exclusivity period granted to a potential investor as mentioned in the statement of 26 June has ended.
“The club remain happy to continue discussions, but not on an exclusive basis, so as not to prevent other options passing.”
It added that the club would continue to be receptive to approaches from potential new partners.
The Leeds United Supporters’ Trust (LUST) issued a statement on Twitter saying: “The Leeds United Supporters Trust can confirm that the deal to buy the club has now collapsed.”
Since June 26, no information or updates from either the club or the proposed new owners have been announced and Leeds fans have grown increasingly frustrated.
LUST last month hit out over the way the takeover was being handled.
“The complete silence from the buyers, and the wholly inadequate statements from the club itself, have kept Leeds fans in the dark about what will become of their club after this summer,” LUST said.